Our Client is a privately held, physics-driven integrated drug discovery company, based in the Boston Seaport. The Client’s proprietary platform is driven by an experienced team of R&D professionals covering biology, biochemistry, chemistry, biophysics & preclinical sciences, whom leverage quantum mechanics and molecular dynamics, developed & deployed internally on purely proprietary platforms and systems. This Boston company owns the entire spectrum of physics-driven drug discovery from chip-to-clinic.
Our Client needs to add a highly motivated team player to join as the Associate Director/Director, Finance to lead its Accounting functions, reporting directly to the Vice President, Head of Operations. The Associate Director/Director, Finance will be responsible for all the company’s accounting functions and external reporting requirements and will be a trusted partner of the entire executive leadership team.
Management of the following accounting activities
- Cash forecasting and management
- Budget development and monthly analysis
- General accounting
- Accounts payable, travel and expense, procurement and payroll
- Revenue accounting cycle, including ensuring compliance with the ASC606 standard when revenue starts to be generated
- Credit and collections when revenue is generated
- Lead the financial statement close process (monthly/quarterly/annual):
- Conduct financial reviews with CEO and VP, Head of Operations
- Review journal entries and account reconciliations
- Evaluate the closing process to accelerate timing, while still providing accurate results
- Prepare monthly consolidation
External reporting and audit
- Manage the annual external audit and preparation of the audited financial statements
- Bank relations and any monthly reporting required
- Investor reporting when required
- Federal grant applications and reporting
Leadership and training
- Lead & manage 2 direct-reports and 1 external payroll provider. Ensure direct-reports have clearly defined roles & responsibilities and establish professional development plans to enable achievement of departmental goals while mentoring key departmental members: training and professional development oversight.
Other responsibilities include
- Develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall finance and accounting operations and effectiveness of the organization
- Oversee the accounting operations of subsidiaries
- Evaluate the need to implement an expense reporting system such as Concur/Expensify
- Manage partnership and corporate tax returns with external tax provider
- Ensure that sales and use taxes, 1099s, and property taxes, are filed properly and timely
- Manage capitalization table
- Perform technical accounting research as required
- Assist on special projects and provide ad hoc reports as needed
- 10+ years of experience of progressive accounting experience including management.
- Experience in the biotechnology or drug discovery industry preferred
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Finance and/or Accounting
- Combination of public accounting and corporate experience a plus.
- Minimum of 5 years of operational accounting experience including building teams, improving processes and implementing controls.
- Demonstrated ability to drive process improvement and efficiencies including systems.
- Experience in QuickBooks as well as more sophisticated accounting systems preferred.
- Utmost level of ethics and integrity.
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience.
- Ability to provide leadership in a fast-paced rapid change environment.
- Strong and appropriate decision-making skills.
- Collaborative, strong interpersonal skills and ability to motivate team members.
- Strong analytical skills and attention to detail and accuracy.
- Organized and detailed oriented.
- Must be a “self-starter” with a problem-solver attitude and a serious desire to have a positive impact on our company.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.